History

The origins of Linenhall Chambers date back over 60 years with the formation of two Barristers sets in Chester. 1 Stanley Place was founded in 1950 by Lord Hooson QC and located at 39 Whitefriars, before moving in 1973 to Sedan House. At a similar time, Nicholas Street Chambers was formed, originally located at 40 King Street, before moving to Nicholas Street in 1998.

Over the years, both sets developed an excellent reputation and during that time have produced a number of eminent Judges and Queen’s Counsel, including the most recent appointment of the former member of 1 Stanley Place Chambers, The Honourable Mr Justice Robin Spencer Kt, as a judge of the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court.

On the 1st March 2011, 1 Stanley Place and Nicholas Street merged to form Linenhall Chambers thereby creating the largest single set of barristers Chambers based in Chester. Chambers now comprises over 80 barristers, including a number of specialist Silks, covering Crime, Civil, Family and Regulatory work.

Based at Stanley Place in Chester, whilst retaining its elegant Georgian facade, the set is supported by the latest in IT and infrastructure, allowing it to maintain the high quality service on which its reputation was firmly established.